Autumn is a popular time for mice to infest your home, since it provides shelter, warmth and food during the cooler months. Mice can quickly make themselves at home and start nesting if you don’t deal with them quickly. It’s critical to take immediate action.
Here are the best ways to get rid of mice:
Mousetraps are the first thing most people try when they discover mice because it’s a tried and true method. You should buy more than you think you need because you want to catch all the mice within the first few days of setting traps. Over the course of weeks, mice have time to breed and make a mess, so it’s best to try and get them all immediately.
You should place mousetraps near where the mice are living for best success. There are electronic mouse traps available, as well as humane traps that simply capture the mice instead of killing them. Check mousetraps twice a day if possible and remove the mice immediately after they are caught. This is important to avoid spreading bacteria. When you don’t see any droppings or evidence for several days, the mice have all been caught.
Bait and Poison
Using poison to get rid of mice is a controversial option, since many feel it’s cruel to the mouse. However, this is a personal decision. Mice carry diseases and can be a health hazard to you and your family. If you do choose poison to deal with mice, follow these precautions:
- Always place mouse bait in sealed bait stations
- Don’t place bait out in the open, it should be under cabinets or behind the refrigerator
- Only use poison inside the home, never put in where a pet could eat it
- Wear gloves when handling the bait
- Store extra bait containers or poison in a safe location out of reach
You can get rid of mice naturally by using strong smells to drive mice away. Peppermint and moth balls are both known to be effective mouse deterrents. A cat or a rodent hunting dog like a terrier is also a good way to get rid of mice.
Call a Professional
If you have been trying to get rid of mice for more than a few weeks, the best solution is to hire an exterminator. Here are a few reasons why:
- A professional mouse exterminator knows where mice like to hide. This will save you a lot of time in locating the source.
- They are trained in evasive tactics mice use to escape traps and know the best baiting tricks.
- They know how to find the areas where mice are getting in.
- An exterminator will follow up and inspect your home o see if they successfully got rid of the mice. They can also replace traps, refill bait stations and adjust the plan as needed to get rid of the mice.